Friday, June 24, 2011

364. Mother and Child (2010)

Photobucket

-To take something that comes from you, made of you, and part with it forever and ever.
-I don't want it.
-I didn't want you either.
-I'm not you.
-And yet here you are, 20 and pregnant and single, just like I was. You see, I didn't want you, and now, I can't take a breath without thinking of you, and wanting the best of the best for you.


A drama centered around the maternal relationships (or lack thereof) of three women and the quest to make things better. This movie features truly amazing performances from Samuel L. Jackson, Naomi Watts, Annette Bening, and Jimmy Smits. It also features another awesome performance from Shareeka Epps who first gained notice with a slew of critical awards in "Half Nelson" (she should really get more quality work). The three stories end up intertwining in unexpected but very moving ways. This was the biggest surprise of awards season for me last year and is why I put a lot of stock in the Independent Spirit Awards.

No comments:

Post a Comment