Tuesday, June 14, 2011

354. Star Trek (2009)

Photobucket

-I may throw up on you.
-I think these things are pretty safe.
-Don't pander to me, kid. One tiny crack in the hull and our blood boils in thirteen seconds. Solar flare might crop up, cook us in our seats. And wait till you're sitting pretty with a case of Andorian shingles, see if you're so relaxed when your eyeballs are bleeding. Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence.
-Well, I hate to break this to you, but Starfleet operates in space.
-Yeah. Well, I got nowhere else to go, the ex-wife took the whole damn planet in the divorce. All I got left is my bones.


Hollywood remakes are often simply a cash grab. Throw something familiar up on the screen and people will flock to it regardless of its quality. Probably due to the fact that Star Trek has had a consistent fan following for nearly the past fifty years, it was able to avoid this fate. J.J. Abrams not only delivers a respectful addition to the Trek canon, but arguably its best feature film. The characters (especially McCoy and Kirk) are captured with near flawless perfection that never approaches satire, and the screenplay (aside from the sorta-lame villian) is exciting from beginning to end. All in all, this is how you reboot a franchise.

No comments:

Post a Comment