Sunday, June 26, 2011

1. Raging Bull (1980) - 6/10

Photobucket

-She says he's pretty.
-Yeah, well, you make him ugly.


Quality - 4/5
Enjoyability - 2/5

I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again: For the most part, Martin Scorsese makes doggone-near perfect movies about people I really don't care about. This movie is amazing. The way Scorsese films the fights is visionary and influenced nearly every action or sports movie that came after it. The choice to film in black and white actually made the film feel more genuine because it felt like a documentary instead of historical fiction. This is also aided by the amazing performances of Robert Deniro and Joe Pesci who both turned in probably the best performances of their career as troubled brothers.

Now, as for the subject, I just do not find the story of a real-life wife-beating, alcohol-abusing, boxer with no redemption appealing. Sure, his story was dramatic, interesting even, but I would much rather devote my time to someone who did even an ounce of good for this world (or even those around him).

No comments:

Post a Comment