Thursday, January 27, 2011
217. A Knight's Tale (2001)
My lords, my ladies, and everybody else here not sitting on a cushion! Today... today, you find yourselves equals. For you are all equally blessed. For I have the pride, the privilege, nay, the pleasure of introducing to you to a knight, sired by knights. A knight who can trace his lineage back beyond Charlemagne. I first met him atop a mountain near Jerusalem, praying to God, asking his forgiveness for the Saracen blood spilt by his sword. Next, he amazed me still further in Italy when he saved a fatherless beauty from the would-be ravishing of her dreadful Turkish uncle. In Greece he spent a year in silence just to better understand the sound of a whisper. And so without further gilding the lily and with no more ado, I give to you, the seeker of serenity, the protector of Italian virginity, the enforcer of our Lord God, the one, the only, Sir Ulllrrrich von Lichtenstein!
How amazing is this movie? Let me count the ways:
1. Heath Ledger's breakout role.
2. The filmakers had the guts to make what is pretty much a sports movie about jousting set during the middle ages.
3. Paul Bettany as Chaucer... naked...
4. Alan Tudyk. May Wash rest in peace.
5. The movie opens with Queen's "We Will Rock You" sung by the audience of a joust.
6. They dance to David Bowie's "Golden Years".
7. There is a training montage set to War's "Low Rider".
8. It's a movie that truly gets better with every viewing. You should try it...