Sunday, January 9, 2011

197. Dogma (1999)

Photobucket

Human beings have neither the aural nor the psychological capacity to withstand the awesome power of God's true voice. Were you to hear it, your mind would cave in and your heart would explode within your chest. We went through five Adams before we figured that one out.

Let me start this off by saying that I define myself as "Protestant". I grew up in the Southern Baptist Church and am a big fan of Jesus, but I don't like to group myself in a single denomination. I don't define myself as simply "Christian" because the inevitable question usually comes: "Which flavor?" "Protestant" not only expresses my Christianity, but also roots itself in the word "protest", which I feel does a pretty good job at describing the work of Jesus. He spent a big chunk of his time here on Earth breaking down the conventions of the religious establishment ("You have heard..., but I say unto you...."). One of his last acts was to issue "the great commission". That is, to go and make disciples of all nations. For the most part I think that his followers have done a pretty good job of this. Christianity is, after all, the most commonly held religion in the world. However, it is amazing how this group of people have "factioned" themselves in the past 2000 years. In this movie, Rufus (the thirteenth apostle) notes that this fact is one of the most troubling to God.

This is Kevin Smith's most personal movie and it manages to use his signature potty humor (sometimes literally) and verbose characters to tackle the real problems that modern religion (especially Catholicism) has connecting with many people.

No comments:

Post a Comment