Monday, January 3, 2011

193. Magnolia (1999)

Photobucket

I can't let this go. I can't let you go. Now, you... you listen to me now. You're a good person. You're a good and beautiful person and I won't let you walk out on me. And I won't let you say those things - those things about how stupid you are and this and that. I won't stand for that. You want to be with me... then you be with me. You see?

Paul Thomas Anderson is one of my favorite directors. This is his masterpiece. One of the greatest epic character studies of all time, the film revolves around a single day in the lives of a handful of people dealing with death, addiction, loss, heartbreak, anxiety, and love. The movie clocks in at a whopping three hours and eight minutes, but I have never gotten bored in the five or six times I have watched it. The combination of a tight, interesting screenplay, a quirky plot that takes twists and turns that cannot be anticipated, and amazing performances from Julianne Moore, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Tom Cruise, William H. Macy, and John C. Reilly makes for one of my favorite movies of all time.

PS: Steven, you have my copy of this DVD, hit me up when you get a chance...

No comments:

Post a Comment