Saturday, January 22, 2011

211. High Fidelity (2000)

Photobucket

What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?

A movie about an aspiring, down-on-his-luck slacker who spends his days talking to his friends in his record store and making lists that begin with "the top five greatest ...". Change record store to comic shop and East Coast music & video and it sounds like my sophomore through senior years of college. John Cusack is awesome as his usual "everyman" and Jack Black gives, in my opinion, the performance that shot him to superstardom. This movie also contains the quintessential philosophy behind the making of a mixtape.

No comments:

Post a Comment