Thursday, December 30, 2010

189. Toy Story 2 (1999)

Photobucket

-Look Jessie, I know you hate me for leaving, but I have to go back. I'm still Andy's toy. Well, if you knew him, you'd understand. See, Andy's...
-Let me guess. Andy's a real special kid, and to him, you're his buddy, his best friend, and when Andy plays with you it's like... even though you're not moving, you feel like you're alive, because that's how he sees you.
-How did you know that?
-Because Emily was just the same. She was my whole world.


If there is one thing that Abigail has taught me it is that good movies have no age range. A child may not have the intelligence necessary to appreciate a movie targeted to adults, but the reverse is certainly not true. A good movie targeted to children can be enjoyed by everyone. It is a cop-out when someone says things like "that movie was pretty good for a kid's movie". Pixar refused to buy into the idea that animated movies targeted to children needed to be dumbed down, sugar-coated, or simplified. The studio had honed its craft with the original "Toy Story" and "A Bug's Life", but really cut loose with this one. The action, drama, and even a little romance in this movie stack up against the best live-action serious "Oscar-bait" movies around. If you don't laugh when Woody is riding Buster and tells him to "walk casual"; If you don't cry when Jessie tells her story of her long lost owner; and if you don't cheer when Woody and Jessie swing down onto Bullseye by Woody's pullstring with Buzz at the reins.... Then you just don't like movies...

Obligatory Oscar rant: Phil Collin's "You'll Be in My Heart" from "Tarzan" won best song over Randy Newman's song written for Sarah McLachlan, "When She Loved Me"... This is a travesty... I still get upset about this... I'm gonna go watch this scene and cry now...

No comments:

Post a Comment