Monday, December 6, 2010

165. As Good as It Gets (1997)

Photobucket

-You make me want to be a better man.
-...That's maybe the best compliment of my life.
-Well, maybe I overshot a little, because I was aiming at just enough to keep you from walking out.


Probably the best character study I have ever seen. The two main characters in this movie are so rich and complex that Helen Hunt and Jack Nicholson pretty much had to win Academy Awards for portraying them. I was pleased to learn that the Psychology class at my school watches this film, and it definitely serves a great purpose. One could spend entire semesters each on Melvin Udall's psyche, his relationships with women, and preconceptions and misconceptions the characters face in this movie. I also think that Greg Kinnear and Cuba Gooding Jr. should play a gay couple in at least one movie every two or three years. They were absolutely priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment