Wednesday, December 15, 2010

174. Blade (1998)

Photobucket

Some *#&@(*##*@ers are always trying to ice-skate uphill.

Let me begin by saying that if you like the "Twilight" saga, then I must ask which part? If you like the whiny high-school "I love him, but he's a vampire" drama, then you would much better served watching the first few seasons of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer". If you like the vampire-fighting action (what very little of it there is), then let me introduce you to Mr. Snipes. I don't really care that pretty much everyone in the world disagrees with me, but I truly think that this is the best vampire movie of all time. Wesley Snipes is so, so cool as the daywalking half-breed, Kris Kristofferson has no problem channeling Obi-Wan as he plays the role of the wise sage, and Stephen Dorff pulls off the emo vampire villian long before the term was even popular.

Just to give you a little taste. Near the climax of the film, the vampires have captured Blade and a vampire lackey (who Blade had previously tortured) has stolen his trademarked sunglasses. Blade escapes from his confinement and finds the lackey. As the vampire begins to attempt to fight, Blade smoothly dispatches him by decapitation and retrieves his sunglasses before they can hit the ground. The fight scenes in this film really are some of the best this side of "The Matrix".

No comments:

Post a Comment