Sunday, January 3, 2016

Best of '15: Mad Max: Fury Road

 photo 946acc67c7817fb8f944676862bd394a_zpsisds4pmn.jpg

Witness me.

I was never a huge fan of the original Mad Max movies (I even admit to skipping the Tina Turner starring third entry, but I saw the "California Love" video a bunch of times... that counts right?). That didn't stop me from getting a little excited when I saw the trailer for this little puppy. I was lucky enough to sneak away and check it out in the theater, and what I was treated with was probably the best pure action film of the '10s (maybe even the new century). 

Since Neo and Jar-Jar signaled the beginning of the CG-age in 1999, Hollywood has been churning out cartoon action faster than Saw sequels. The term "practical effects" was probably coined before this year, but this film brought it to the forefront. Real cars, real crashes, real flips, and real explosions, ultimately led to REAL thrills. Couple this with a shift in focus from Max (a grunty character with little charisma) to Furiosa (one-armed, butt-kicking, big-rig-driving riot grrrl) and you have the perfect recipe for the biggest surprise of 2015 (at both the box office and, most likely, the awards stages).

No comments:

Post a Comment