Friday, August 27, 2010

64. Blazing Saddles (1974)

Photobucket

Excuse me while I whip this out.

One good thing about this blog, is that I am constantly learning new things about these movies. What other director in the history of movies has had (arguably) his two most loved movies come out in the same year? Mel Brooks had a pretty amazing year in 1974 with the release of "Young Frankenstein" and "Blazing Saddles". Altough I find the former to be much more rewatchable, this movie is probably the funniest movie dealing with race relations of all time. Quite ironic that it would be directed by an older Jewish man. Brooks himself plays a couple of iconic roles, and, once again, ubiquitous scene-stealer Madeline Kahn is absolutely divine. I just wish Mel made more movies (only 11 in the past forty years, and we haven't had one since 1995...).

No comments:

Post a Comment