Thursday, August 5, 2010

42. The 400 Blows (1959)

Photobucket

Oh, I lie now and then, I suppose. Sometimes I'd tell them the truth and they still wouldn't believe me, so I prefer to lie.

Of the few French "New Wave" movies I have seen, this is the only one that had a significant impact on me while not boring my eyeballs out of their sockets. That is not to say that this film isn't a tad on the slow side, and it is pretty much a normal account of a teenage deliquent. Still, Francois Truffaut paints a marvelous allegory underneath the storyline that hits the viewer so subtly one may not realize it until the final climax.

It really is up to the viewer to decide what "The 400 Blows" is trying to say, but I will say that if you are interested in film this is probably a good starting point into the realm of the motion picture as high concept art.

No comments:

Post a Comment