Wednesday, August 11, 2010

48. To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)

Photobucket

Jean Louise. Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passing.

There are very few true heroes in the world. Young people may look up to actors, sports figures, teachers, or preachers, but most of the time these role models will fail at one point in there lives. Hollywood is especially adept at making movies about fallen heroes and their retribution (or lack thereof). Still, there are a handful of people (fictional and real) that I would call true heroes. Atticus Finch leads that list. A widower public attorney who is doing his best to raise two children and keep his innocent client safe from the gallows of the mob and the state has every reason to fall. Atticus Finch has every excuse to go home every night and drown his sorrows with alcohol while ignoring his kids as they are cared for by the servants of his house. But Atticus Finch is better than that, Atticus is a hero. So much so that I am going to let him finish this blog:

You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.
There's a lot of ugly things in this world, son. I wish I could keep 'em all away from you. That's never possible.


-Scout - Atticus, do you defend niggers?
-Atticus - Don't say 'nigger,' Scout.
-Scout - I didn't say it... Cecil Jacobs did; that's why I had to fight him.
-Atticus - Scout, I don't want you fightin'!
-Scout - I had to, Atticus, he...
-Atticus - I don't care what the reasons are: I forbid you to fight.

You're gonna hear some ugly talk about this in school. But I want you to promise me one thing: That you won't get into fights over it, no matter what they say to you.

Now gentlemen, in this country our courts are the great levelers, and in our courts all men are created equal. I'm no idealist to believe firmly in the integrity of our courts and of our jury system. That's no ideal to me. That is a living, working reality. Now I am confident that you gentlemen will review without passion the evidence that you have heard, come to a decision, and restore this man to his family. In the name of God, do your duty. In the name of God, believe Tom Robinson.

No comments:

Post a Comment