Monday, August 9, 2010

46. West Side Story (1961)

Photobucket

Why do you kids live like there's a war on?

My all-time favorite romance. Take the story of William Shakespeare, the music of Leonard Bernstein and Steven Sondheim, the direction and choreography of Robert Wise and Jerome Robbins, the beauty of Natalie Wood, the singing and dancing of Rita Moreno shake all of it up and update it for the streets of New York and you have a flawed masterpiece of film. I know that the lead actors and actresses didn't sing for themselves, I know that most of the "Peurto Ricans" in the film are Caucasian, I know that the take away Romeo & Juliet's tragic ending, I know that this is "just" an adaptation of a stage play, but it feels so perfect. I have never seen a live version, and my opinion may change if I ever do, but I can't imagine it capturing my heart the way this film has.

Many of you may be thinking that I am an idiot, but I present this evidence. Let me preface this by saying, youtube (or any other streaming video on the internets) cannot compete with a good home theater system and blu-ray or dvd and it shouldn't, ever. Still, the last 30-45 seconds of this video are why I love movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment