Monday, August 16, 2010

53. My Fair Lady (1964)

Photobucket

I sold flowers; I didn't sell myself. Now you've made a lady of me, I'm not fit to sell anything else.

This is probably my favorite traditional musical of all time. I first saw it in music class in fifth grade. The only thing I remember about that viewing is that it took about 2 weeks of class to get through it and two scenes got very big laughs ("Come on Dover, move your bloomin' arse" and "Damn, Damn, Damn, Damn"). I was reintroduced to the movie by my first girlfriend. It was her favorite and we would watch it over and over. I bought her the soundtrack for Christmas, and then we could listen to it in the Firebird as well. The songs are just non-stop catchy fun. Audrey Hepburn's performance is absolutely lovable and Rex Harrison plays her foil perfectly. I would have loved to see the original Broadway cast with Julie Andrews instead, but I don't think the film loses anything with Hepburn's dubbed singing. I did get a chance to see a live performance at ECU, and had an absolute blast. Bottom line, combining an endearing story, with amazing songs, and shades of high school romance make this one of my all-time faves.

No comments:

Post a Comment