Tuesday, August 17, 2010

54. The Sound of Music (1965)

Photobucket

My fellow Austrians, I shall not be seeing you again perhaps for a very long time. I would like to sing for you now... a love song. I know you share this love. I pray that you will never let it die.

You probably have already seen this movie (and know of its greatness), and if you haven't you should immediately. So, I'll use this space to tell a fun story...

During my second year of medical school, my class was charged with running the annual talent show. Traditionally, the show was hosted by a male and female from the second year class. Unfortunately, no women in our class were interested. One of my back row friends, Chris Sepich agreed to host, and, being the problem solver I am, I agreed to be the woman. Chris and I sang "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" from this movie accompanied by my wife Angela on piano. Chris, of course, portrayed Rolf and I sang the part of Liesl. While Chris wore a tux, I dressed the part with a vintage green sleeveless dress, hose, and a nice barette to hold my hair back. Wish I could share a picture, but I seriously can't put my hands on one. Somewhere there is also a video of the performance... maybe one day...

No comments:

Post a Comment