Monday, August 24, 2020

The Year in Movies: 1993


 1993


Number of Movies I've Seen: 28

Number of Movies from my original top 365:  2

Oscar Winner:
Schindler's List - I put off watching this one forever (which is the only reason it didn't make it onto the original 365). I knew what it was about and I just was never in the mood to throw it into the DVD player (I actually owned the DVD for more than a decade before watching it). A podcast on the AFI top 100 finally twisted my arm enough to watch it and boy was I flummoxed. It is probably Spielberg's greatest achievement, which is saying quite a bit. The wit and humor really surprised me and, of course, the small triumph in the midst of terrible tragedy was simply beautiful. I'm not sure when I'll watch it again, but I'm glad I finally did.

Box Office Winner:
Jurassic Park -  Pretty amazing that the same director helmed both the box-office champ and the Best Picture of 1993. Just goes to show how transcendent of a talent Spielberg is. I'll never forget watching this movie at the Plaza theater in Kinston (close to where Big Lots is now). My parents bought us extra large tootsie rolls and I still think of marauding Dinosaurs every time I taste that chocolate. It is amazing how the special effects still hold up nearly 30 years later. I know it isn't the most popular take, but I see this as Spielberg's much better remake of Jaws.

My Top Ten:
1. NEXT POST!

2. Schindler's List 

3. Short Cuts - After Prairie Home Companion, Dr. T & the Women, Nashville, and M.A.S.H., I thought maybe Robert Altman just wasn't for me. I'm not sure what enticed me to give him one more shot (probably Julianne Moore, let's be honest), but I'm glad I did. This movie is a brilliant character study interweaving multiple stories throughout Los Angeles. If it were made today it would probably exist as a 4-5 episode HBO miniseries. I mean that as a high complement. I guess I need to watch some more Altman... I think The Player is next.

4. Robin Hood: Men in Tights - This was my first Mel Brooks, and while it probably isn't my favorite, it is pretty great and stacks up well against his earlier classics. I also dig Robin Hood stories. Here is my original take

5. Jurassic Park 

6. The Sandlot - Everything that is great about a solid "kids" movie.

7. True Romance - If only this had been directed by Quentin Tarantino. His first screenplay gets a bit slighted by Tony Scott's early '90s "cool" direction and Hans Zimmer's techno-chic soundtrack. Excellent performances all around. There is a brilliant film hiding somewhere under the surface of this one.

8. Philadelphia - I remember watching this in health class in high school. Probably about a decade ahead of its time.

9. Sleepless in Seattle - Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan lay the groundwork for every weepy romantic comedy for the next 20 years.

10. Dave - Another one I remember watching in school (Coach Ross' ELP class). Solid comedy that puts heart above politics to a fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment