Thursday, August 20, 2020

The Year in Movies: 1983

 1983


Number of Movies I've Seen: 10

Number of Movies from my original top 365:  1

Oscar Winner:
NEXT POST!

Box Office Winner:
Return of the Jedi -  I am intentionally leaving out Star Wars movies in my discussions for the best of the year. Jedi is probably my favorite of all of the saga and would easily be the best movie of 1983 (if not the entire '80s) if I didn't exclude them. You can read my original blog take on it here.

My Top Ten:
1. NEXT POST!

2. The Outsiders  This might have been the coolest book we read in middle school. It was even cooler when I discovered the movie with pretty much every actor in Hollywood in it. This movie spent quite a bit of time on my "favorites of the year list" before I recently watched the #1. It is a solid flick and I definitely need a rewatch with Abby.

3. Zelig - Woody Allen in one of his most interesting straight comedies. It actually precedes the most famous "granddaddy" of all fake documentaries (This is Spinal Tap) by a year. It is kind of interesting to think of the alternate universe where Woody started churning out these pseudo-docs and Christopher Guest spent the next thirty years making quirky romantic comedies.

4. Risky Business - When I saw this movie for the first time I was surprised to learn how dark it was. It seems the only aspect of this film that is stuck in our collective consciousnesses is the "Old Time Rock N Roll" dance. I think that actually hurts the amount of love this movie receives. 

5. Monty Python's The Meaning of Life - Probably my favorite Monty Python film. As with most "sketch comedy", this movie is VERY hit and miss with me. I adore "Every Sperm is Sacred" but abhor the obese "Mr. Creosote". 

6. Wargames - I don't remember much about this one, and I'm not really sure its worth a rewatch.

7. Deathstalker - I recently watched this while researching exploitation films. I think I summed up my thoughts pretty clearly on my letterboxd review: Poorly written episode of He-Man accidentally gets made into a 75 minute B movie where men all want to kill each other and women have successfully freed the nipple.

8. Superman III - I don't remember much about this one, and I'm pretty sure it is not worth a rewatch.

9. Scarface - If you've followed my writings at all, you know that I am not a fan of the Pacino/DeNiro/Scorsese/Coppola/Crime/Mobster movies. This movie embodies what I despise most about that genre of movies. I really didn't like this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment