Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Best of the Year: 1973 - American Graffiti


 Slice-of-life, coming-of-age teen films that take place in one day/night close to the last day of school/graduation may be one of my favorite genres. This one may not be the best of that mini-genre (I'll save that one for next week this time - 1993), but I'm pretty sure it was the first. We all know how George Lucas' story would end (on heaps of money, a bit jaded from creating new movies or directing), but I think it is much more interesting to go back and look at how his story began. THX-1138 and American Graffiti I feel are really underrated mainly because we mainly think of Lucas being entrenched in a galaxy far, far away. This is unfortunate because during the '70s and early '80s we really saw how much of a brilliant storyteller Lucas was. I love Star Wars, but I'll be honest, part of me wants to see the alternate Lucas who never had to deal with creating the most popular franchise of the 20th century. How many more neat little films could we have gotten? 

No comments:

Post a Comment