Saturday, August 8, 2020

Best of the Year: 1943 - The Ox-Bow Incident


 During my Junior year of college, my advisor (super-cool Ichthyologist, Dr. Stephen Norton) gave my one of the coolest tips: Sign up for as many interesting-sounding classes as possible, attend the first day, peruse the syllabus, and then drop back down to the number of hours you actually want to take. One of the interesting courses I signed up for that first semester was "Politics in Film". The class met on Wednesday night for three hours. I figured, a free movie every week and some good ol' political discussion would be a blast. The first week was One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. It was my first viewing and I was super excited to be able to discuss it immediately after it was over. When my "take" on the movie was met with confused glances, I would soon find out that I was the only non-political science major in the room. That coupled with the weekly research paper, caused me to pretty swiftly drop the class. I did, however, grab the class schedule of movies to watch on my own. One of them was The Ox-Bow Incident.

This movie is a heartbreaking takedown of the "posse" form of justice. Henry Fonda is masterful as always as the viewers conscience. This is one of my shortest "favorites of the year" at around 1 hour and 15 minutes and I strongly urge you to seek it out if you haven't already seen it. I wonder with the research paper topic was that week?  

No comments:

Post a Comment