Sunday, August 2, 2020

The Year in Movies: 1933



















1933


Number of Movies I've Seen: 3
I still have plenty of work to do in this decade.

Number of Movies from my original top 365:  1

Oscar Winner:
Cavalcade - This is one of the Best Pictures I haven't had a chance to see yet. Everything I have heard isn't very promising though...  

Box Office Winner:
Roman Scandals -  Another Eddie Cantor flick that looks really interesting and I definitely want to check it out. Unfortunately I can't find a good copy anywhere. I find it odd that one of the biggest box office stars from the 1930s doesn't get much love today. I hope it isn't because these movies are bad...  Certainly looking forward to Eddie Cantor week on TCM.

My Top Ten:
1. NEXT POST!

2. King Kong - (pictured above) Obviously, this movie is really good. The only reason it isn't the best of the year is because my #1 film is one of my all-time favorites. I can't imagine how mind-blowing it must've been to see this movie in the theater in 1933. It also probably has had more influence on modern Hollywood than any movie prior to The Wizard of Oz.

3. Our Betters -  Genuinely boring film about adultery by American rich girls within British aristocracy punctuated by a pretty stellar scene where their gay best friend makes everything okay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment