Monday, August 10, 2020

The Year in Movies: 1953

 1953

Number of Movies I've Seen: 6

Number of Movies from my original top 365:  1

Oscar Winner:
NEXT POST!

Box Office Winner:
The Robe -  Billed as "The First Motion Picture in Cinemascope!", this movie looks really interesting. A Roman soldier wins Jesus' robe during the crucifixion that he takes part in. He then wrestles with the guilt of his actions. I will definitely put it on my watchlist.

My Top Ten:
1. NEXT POST!

2. Shane - (pictured above) This is one of those movies that is so near perfect, but is hard to really pinpoint what is great about it. A western with a heart of gold.

3. Roman Holiday -  This is a romance with no chemistry except that Audrey Hepburn makes that impossible. This is a romance where the male character is a complete creep who takes advantage of a drugged fragile girl except that Gregory Peck makes that impossible. If ever there was a pile of cinema trash rescued by two brilliant actors, this is it.

4. Peter Pan - More important for the pieces that are timeless than for the film as a whole. Better in small portions.

5. The Wild One - This was quite a bit better than I thought it would be mainly because of the nuanced morality. Marlon Brando is a straight up dessert.

6. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes - I love Marilyn Monroe in The Seven-Year Itch and Some Like it Hot. I had heard that some reviewers actually like this movie from her the most so I was excited to check it out. I have no idea what they were watching. She plays a ditz who isn't in on the joke. I found it bland, dated, and boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment