Friday, August 14, 2020

The Year in Movies: 1963

1963

Number of Movies I've Seen: 7

Number of Movies from my original top 365:  2

Oscar Winner:
Tom Jones - Probably the worst best picture I've seen so far. This is movie is like the joke that your weird uncle tells you. It isn't funny or crude but it is super creepy because of his implication that it IS funny and crude.

Box Office Winner:
Cleopatra -  It's the only instance of a film being the highest grossing film of the year and also losing money for its studio. I'll catch up to this one eventually.

My Top Ten:
1. NEXT POST!

2. Irma la Douce - The Apartment's Billy Wilder, Jack Lemmon, and Shirley MacLaine reunite to film a movie where Lemmon falls in love with unattainable MacLaine and hopes to rescue her from the men who only want "one thing", but this time... in Paris. It isn't an exact copy of The Apartment, but it is close. I guess if you are going to copy something at least it something great. Read my original blog post here.

3. Jason and the Argonauts - (Pictured above) I remember plenty about my trips to the movies. Rental trips are a bit less memorable for some reason. This one has stuck with me though. I was hanging out with my dad without my mom and Kim for some reason and we went across the street to Gaskin's Mini-mart to rent a movie (that's right, in the late '80s/early '90s even Hanrahan convenience stores got into the movie rental game). My dad suggested this one and my pre-teen brain conflated it with the "Jason" movies my friends were all bragging about seeing so I agreed. I was a bit disappointed at first that there were no hockey-masked killers, but then I was transfixed with this magical mythology with some of the coolest stop-motion I had ever seen. Ray Harryhausen was ridiculously ahead of his time, and may be one of the most underrated filmmakers of the 20th century. 

4. From Russia with Love -  Roger Moore will always be my Bond. This is good stuff though. 

5. The Sword in the Stone - I really need to rewatch this one on Disney +, but I remember really digging it.

6. 8 1/2 - I think maybe French new-wave is just not my thing. I admit I need to watch more though...

7. Tom Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment