Wednesday, August 5, 2020

The Year in Movies: 1943


1943

Number of Movies I've Seen: 3
yeah.. yeah....

Number of Movies from my original top 365:  0

Oscar Winner:
Casablanca - This confused the heck out of me when doing my blog, but somehow the studio executives got Casablanca entered into the Oscars a full year after it was released. I guess it was the right call...

Box Office Winner:
This is the Army -  I have read that this is an overlong reproduction of Irving Berlin's USO stage show.  I feel pretty safe in saying I can skip this.

My Top Ten:
1. NEXT POST!

2. Sahara - (pictured above) No, not the Matthew McConaughey Dirk Pitt flick. This one is actually fun. Bogart and other Hollywood and British actors get a tank stuck in the middle of the desert at an underground cave. Surrounded by Nazis and the harshness of the title wasteland they must work together to survive. I watched this after seeing that it was on Rian Johnson's list of recommendations for his actors while filming The Last Jedi. It is well worth the watch.

3. Du Barry was a Lady -  I caught this one on the TCM app not too long ago because I knew I was short on 1943 films and it was billed as a pseudo-time-travel musical with Gene Kelly, Red Skelton, Virginia O'Brien, and Lucille Ball. There were some really fun musical numbers, an overly simplistic story, and a crazy time travel dream sequence middle act. Way too much Red Skelton and Lucille Ball and nowhere near enough Gene Kelly and Virginia O'Brien. Highlights are Gene Kelly's jaw-dropping dance number and Virginia O'Brien's song "Salome" neither of which had anything to do with the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment