Sunday, May 15, 2011

322. Cars (2006)

Photobucket

Okay, here we go. Focus. Speed. I am speed. One winner, forty-two losers. I eat losers for breakfast. Breakfast? Maybe I should have had breakfast? Brekkie could be good for me. No, no, no, focus. Speed. Faster than fast, quicker than quick. I am Lightning.

In 2006, Pixar was renegotiating its contract with Disney. All signs pointed to Pixar breaking away and distributing its own movies. This movie was to be the last film that they created with the giant movie studio, and when I saw the trailer I thought for sure that this was exit-door sabotage. Why make a good movie for a company that you felt was ripping you off? Add to this the fact that one of the main characters was being played by fake redneck (it's true, look it up)
Larry the Cable Guy, and my hopes for this film were very low.

Yet, when I finally saw the movie, I was assured of the one constant in cinema: Pixar doesn't make bad films. I especially loved it because I grew up watching NASCAR every Sunday and listening to Car Talk most Saturday mornings. I found the movie to be a fun exercise in doing what Pixar does best: having inanimate objects show us the absurdity of our ways and reminding us of the important things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment