Monday, May 2, 2011

310. Dreamgirls (2006)

Photobucket

And I am telling you/ I'm not going./ You're the best man I'll ever know./ There's no way I can ever go./ No, no, no, no way... / No, no, no, no way I'm living without you./ I'm not living without you./ I don't want to be free./ I'm staying, I'm staying,/ And you, and you,/ you're gonna love me.

This is actually a pretty average movie musical musical, but there were two aspects that made it absolutely amazing to me:
1. Much like my "Brokeback Mountain" viewing, I was heavily influence by the audience I saw this film with. I caught the movie at the Southpoint Cinema in Durham with a near sold-out crowd of about 60% middle-aged African American women. The live theater experience created an atmosphere of female empowerment that was so palpable that I didn't mind the rants, raves, and cheers along with the movie.
2. Jennifer Hudson. I'm sure she still has back pains from carrying this movie the way she did. Eddie Murphy's performance came close to this level of committment, but none of the other actors approached her honesty and emotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment