Monday, May 9, 2011

316. Little Miss Sunshine (2006)

Photobucket

You know what? #*$& beauty contests. Life is one $*#&ing beauty contest after another. School, then college, then work... %*#( that. And $*#( the Air Force Academy. If I want to fly, I'll find a way to fly. You do what you love, and %*$& the rest.

This movie is a really witty look at a very dysfunctional family, and that's why most people like it. I appreciate that, but I love it primarily because of the scene preceding the screen capture above. Around this time of year five years ago, I came to the realization that the career I had worked towards my entire life was not going to become a reality. There really isn't anything that can compare to that feeling. It's not the sadness that you get from losing a loved one, or the disappoint that comes with losing an athletic contest. It is a completely gut wrenching feeling of worthlessness that can only be remedied by being surrounded by those that love you. Lucky for me, I found out my news right before my sister's wedding, and, just like Olive comforts Dwayne, I was reinvigorated by the love of my family as it simultaneously grew larger and closer together.

1 comment: