Wednesday, September 30, 2020

The Year in Movies: 1984



1984

It's happened. I've fallen behind. This is mainly because I wanted to see Amadeus before writing this one. I'll track it down eventually...

Number of Movies I've Seen: 10

Number of Movies from my original top 365:  5

Oscar Winner:
Amadeus - See above. Probably my most egregious best picture miss.

Box Office Winner:
Ghostbusters - This one never really stuck with me. I think I may have been a couple years too young for it. I actually have much fonder memories of the sequel.

My Top Ten:
1. NEXT POST!

2. The Natural - I really need to rewatch this, but it blew me away on the first viewing. I even added it to my original blog while it was still underway.

3. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind - PICTURED ABOVE. Another I really need to rewatch. Especially because I don't think Abby has seen it. It brings in some of my favorite things: A plucky female heroine, an environmental message, and Miyazaki's stunning hand-drawn animation. My original post.

4. The Neverending Story - Unlike Ghostbusters, this one DID resonate with me as a kid. There's no telling how many times I rented this one. I bet my parents thought the title was a self-fulfilling prophecy! I still want a luckdragon!

5. The Karate Kid - Another that I endlessly copied as a child. Every kid in my elementary school tried to crane kick at least once a week. Wax-on...Wax-off...

6. Blood Simple - The Coen's first film isn't there most accessible, but you definitely get treated to all of the hallmarks that they would bring for the next 30+ years. Also the first from Frances McDormand!

7. 28 Up - Michael Apted's super-doc really takes off here as the children's lives begin to take drastic and diverse turns.

8. This is Spinal Tap - I don't love this one as much as Christopher Guest's other mockumentaries (where he would take over directing duties), but it still is important for pretty much founding the genre.

9. Ghostbusters

10. Gremlins - I often say in these capsule reviews that I need to rewatch the movie in question. I kind of wish I hadn't rewatched this one. It isn't as funny or even as fun as I remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment