Saturday, September 5, 2020

The Year in Movies: 1924



 1924


Number of Movies I've Seen: 3

Number of Movies from my original top 365:  0

Oscar Winner:
Didn't exist yet

Box Office Winner:
The Sea Hawk - This movie was a trip. I'll be honest, it was really tough to tell the main characters apart during the first act, but once our hero adopted Islam and begin to wear traditional Algerian garb things got a bit easier. I was surprised how the movie that made the most money nearly a century ago could be so tough on Christianity. The antagonist's religion is constantly called out and they are judged as hypocrites while the "Moslems" (as the movie decided to call them) come to the hero's aid and adopt him as one of their own. The sea battles were especially impressive and most of the time I couldn't tell if the shots were miniature or full-scale. As with most movies from this time, this one is free on Youtube. It is a fun one if you are feeling adventurous.

My Top Ten:
1. NEXT POST!

2. The Iron Horse (Pictured above) John Ford directed 130 feature films during his career. Including this one, I have seen 5 (the others are Stagecoach, The Grapes of Wrath, How Green was My Valley, and The Searchers). I am always amazed by the reverence I hear in directors' voices when they speak of Ford, and with my small taste of his filmography I certainly see why. He has an eye for screen like an artist. Every shot is magnificent and his landscapes look like tapestries that belong in museums. These talents are certainly on display here and even though the movie probably needs about a half-hour cut, it still plays well today. This one is also free on Youtube.

3. The Sea Hawk

No comments:

Post a Comment