Sunday, September 6, 2020

The Year in the Movies: 1934



  1934


Number of Movies I've Seen: 5

Number of Movies from my original top 365:  0

Oscar Winner:
NEXT POST!

Box Office Winner:
NEXT POST!

My Top Ten:
1. NEXT POST!

2. The Man Who Knew Too Much - (Pictured above) Peter Lorre in his first English-speaking role directed by Alfred Hitchcock. I was sure this would supplant my number one pick for 1934, but alas it wasn't to be. This is certainly an important film for the history of thrillers, but being first doesn't mean it's anywhere near the best.

3. The Thin Man - I get it. It just isn’t for me. Not funny enough to compete with classic comedies and not cool enough to compete with classic mysteries. The entire runtime I couldn’t help but hunger for Groucho Marx or Sam Spade.

4. The Gay Divorcee  - You get to watch Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers which is always a treat. Too bad the story is just plain strange (a woman wants to divorce her husband, but can't fall in love because she thinks the guy was sent by her lawyer to pretend to fake a relationship... echh....).

5. Anne of Green Gables - It was fine... I guess. The acting was very stiff, but Anne Shirley's breakout performance makes sense because her big eyes and confidant demeanor own the screen. I will admit dozing off a bit in the middle. Just such a bland story...

No comments:

Post a Comment