Sunday, September 6, 2020

Best of the Year:1924 - Sherlock Jr.



 I'm not sure what I expected from this one, but the title definitely led me astray. It's only relationship with 221B Baker Street is that the protagonist dreams of being a detective and the "movie within the movie" is about a detective with the title name. The picture above was one of the many things that blew me away with this one. During a dream sequence, Buster Keaton leaves his projectionist station and climbs into the movie. For the entire second act, he lives the life of the title character in the film. In doing so, he is able to solve his real-life mystery and win his love. I am reluctant to suggest silent movies to people, but I'd say anybody who appreciates cinema will dig this one. As you can probably tell, it's pretty clear where I fall on the Chaplin/Keaton discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment