Wednesday, September 16, 2020

The Year in Movies: 1954



1954


Number of Movies I've Seen: 6

Number of Movies from my original top 365:  1

Oscar Winner:
NEXT POST!

Box Office Winner:
White Christmas - Scattered thoughts while watching this movie specifically for this blog:
    -This is so much better than "Holiday Inn"... and with 100% less blackface
    -How is this a Christmas movie? 
    -HD is not kind to anybody in this cast except for maybe Vera Allen. 
    -51-year-old Bing Crosby is not convincing as a young vet or a love interest for 26-year-old Rosemary Clooney
    -Danny Kaye's song/dance numbers are actually pretty great but have nothing to do with the movie
    -Singing, dancing, and WWII nostalgia... I guess I see why this made so much money in 1954

My Top Ten:
1. NEXT POST!

2. Seven Samurai - (Pictured above) Probably the most copied action movie of the 20th century. There is a reason for that. A tale of a ragtag group of misfits coming together to defeat an evil, money-hungry oppressor is timeless, but Kurasawa tells it in such a way that it sticks with the viewer long after we lament the lost samurai as pictured above. It was the lone movie from this year that made my original top 365. Mainly because I hadn't seen my #1 yet.

3. Rear Window - This is not my favorite Hitchcock. It is solid, but I have to admit that I was a bit bored. The setup and film-making are flawless, but I just didn't connect with this one as much as I know others have.

4. White Christmas

5. Athena - This movie is wild. Kind of a mess plot-wise, but worth it for Jane Powell and Debbie Reynolds singing, dancing, and owning the screen.

6. The Long, Long Trailer - I don't really remember much about this one except I watched it one rainy afternoon when I was very young. Slapstick Lucy and Desi? I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment