Monday, July 27, 2020

The Year in Movies: 2012





















2012


A decent, if a bit forgettable, year in movies

Number of Movies I've Seen: 66
Still admirable considering I had a 4-year-old movie partner at the time.

Number of Movies from my original top 365:  none
My original blog only went up to 2011.

Oscar Winner:
Argo - Probably the most deserving Oscar win in the past decade. This is a really solid movie that tells the story of a pretty miraculous real-life event. I think if Affleck had not cast himself as the lead/hero it would be remembered more fondly.

Box Office Winner:
The Avengers -  I remember walking out of the theater after seeing Joss Whedon's comic book masterpiece thinking: "That was perfect.... now let's stop making these." Super-hero fatigue has definitely caught up to me and save for Into the Spiderverse I haven't really loved one since this pinnacle. Endgame just didn't do it for me and in my opinion swung the pendulum back to movie fan service over comic fan service.

My Top Ten:
1. NEXT POST!

2. The Perks of Being a Wallflower - I have tried to talk Abby into checking this one out with me. It is one of the best "coming of age" high school movies in recent years. 

3. Ruby Sparks - A writer falls in love with his character who he realizes he has formed into actual existence. The title character is played brilliantly by Zoe Kazan. This film is also the second of only three films from husband and wife directors Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris (the other two being Little Miss Sunshine and Battle of the Sexes). These guys need to make more movies!

4. Moonrise Kingdom - Another director that you can expect to see a bit from on these lists is Wes Anderson. I'm not sure this is his best, but it may be my favorite. Adorable young love told in the most quirky way possible.

5. Argo 

6. Silver Linings Playbook - David O. Russell is a director that I struggle with. Sometimes I love his stuff (I Heart Huckabees, The Fighter) and sometimes he misses pretty wide (Joy, Accidental Love). This one had the right combination of heart, acting acumen, and a story that focuses on a rare subject (love in the face of mental illness).

7. The Avengers 

8. The Sessions - A beautiful tale of love told in one of the strangest ways imaginable. Sex surrogates are doing the Lord's work and Helen Hunt perfectly captures this occupation with a rare glimpse into a unique vocation.

9. The Impossible - Ewan McGregor and Naomi Watts portray a husband and wife who get separated along with their two sons during the 2004 Thai tsunami. It is beautiful, heartbreaking, and will pry every last tear from your eye.

10. Mud - Probably my favorite film from Jeff Nichols (and his second unit DP Neil Moore). This movie makes you feel its setting in a visceral way that most movies don't come close to. A mystery complete with islands, swamps, cheap hotels, and Matthew McConaughey.

No comments:

Post a Comment