Sunday, July 5, 2020

The Year in Movies: 1952


1952

Number of Movies I've Seen: 4
I promise... the 90s are coming.

Number of Movies from my original top 365:  2

Oscar Winner:
The Greatest Show on Earth - pictured above. This is the most common answer to the question, "What is the worst Best Picture winner?" I guess it's not that bad. Just bloated, lifeless, and incredibly dated. When I was young I remember an annual event called "Circus of the Stars". It was exactly what it sounded like, television "stars" would train and put on a circus (just looked it up and it ran for 19 years from 1977 to 1994). I ate it up! Watching my favorite sitcom actors learn to tightrope walk or fly on the trapeze was a blast.... and then I grew up. I have no rose-colored visions of this show and little desire to see if I can find episodes on youtube. This movie is "Circus of the Stars"... with John Wayne instead of Mario Lopez.

Box Office Winner:
The Greatest Show on Earth - I guess people really wanted to go to the circus... By the way, that's Jimmy Stewart as Buttons the clown in the still above. He has a pretty pivotal role in the movie... and never takes his clown makeup off....

My Top Ten:
1. NEXT POST!

2. High Noon - This is the other film from my original 365. Check out what I wrote here.

3. The Greatest Show on Earth 

4. Million Dollar Mermaid - I watched this after listening to a podcast about Esther Williams. I kinda just wished I had looked up the 6 minute water ballet sequence. The rest of the movie was a slog.

No comments:

Post a Comment