Saturday, July 18, 2020

Best of the Year: 1982 - E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial


























We haven't hit a year yet in which a Star Wars movie was released. When we do, you will not see it listed on this blog. I decided a while back that the part of my fandom that adores Star Wars is a separate entity to the part that adores film. For that reason, I can't bring myself to rank movies from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away alongside other films. When deciding on my favorite movie from 1982, I was presented with a similar dilemma: Do I pick the movie I grew up with that holds a nostalgic place in my heart (E.T.) or the one I believe is brilliant adult filmmaking that I discovered only in the past year (Sophie's Choice)? Should E.T. be relegated to the movie blogging sidelines like I have done with the Star Wars films? Nah...

In thinking about my favorite movies of my childhood, I didn't love them because I was a child. I loved them because they are brilliant films. This movie moves me both literally and figuratively. I acted out scenes, road my bike from invisible cops, looked at the stars wondering what could be out there, and loved my family and friends more because of E.T.. That makes it the best film of 1982.

Read what I wrote about it ten years ago here.

No comments:

Post a Comment