Thursday, July 9, 2020

The Year in Movies: 1962



















1962

Number of Movies I've Seen: 6
C'mon guys... I still wasn't alive yet.

Number of Movies from my original top 365:  3

Oscar Winner:
Lawrence of Arabia - pictured above. So, I hear you want to start watching "old Hollywood epics". This is where you should begin. It is beautiful (maybe the best cinematography in movie history), exciting (action-packed adventure in the desert), and moving (the characters have to make tough ethical decisions and it is easy to empathize with them). It approaches 4 hours, but I never wanted it to be over. You also get to see Obi-Wan Kenobi as King of Syria which might sound like brown-face (and probably is), but Alec Guinness is so good I've never heard anybody complain about it. Here's my take from my original 365.

Box Office Winner:
The Longest Day - I really need to see this one. It's just.... well... long...

My Top Ten:
1. NEXT POST!

2. Lawrence of Arabia

3. The Manchurian Candidate - this is the third movie on my original 365. It may be one of the timeliest movies of the 1960s for today and I urge you to check it out if you haven't already (make sure you watch this one though. Denzel is fine and all, but the remake doesn't add much and Angela Lansbury is divine.). Read what I wrote about it 10 years ago here.

4. The Miracle Worker - It skirts awful close to "Lifetime movie" world, but the performances from Anne Bancroft and Patty Duke elevate the film and make it essential viewing.

5. Dr. No - Sean Connery isn't my favorite Bond... what can I say? This movie is solid for getting the franchise rolling, but it doesn't compare to later installments.

6. The Music Man - I saw this on stage my first year teaching put on by my high school's theater department. I really dug it. I think a big part of my enjoyment was being overwhelmed with how talented my students were. Watching the film, I didn't get the same vibe and was pretty bored for a musical that is a bit too long. It is also incredibly front loaded as I don't think there is a good song after about the 45 minute mark (Pickalittle is the last good song; Shipoopi is trash and just a nonsense excuse for a dance number).

No comments:

Post a Comment