Monday, July 20, 2020

The Year in Movies: 1992




1992

Number of Movies I've Seen: 36
Probably more, but this is what I have logged on Letterboxd

Number of Movies from my original top 365:  7

Oscar Winner:
Unforgiven - This is probably my favorite Clint Eastwood movie... I am not a fan. I get it, and I see why people dig him. He just isn't for me. I want to yell at him: "Stop scowling and go love somebody!!!"

Box Office Winner:
Aladdin - This is probably my least favorite of the big four Disney Renaissance films (The Little MermaidBeauty and the Beast, and The Lion King being the other three). That is not to say I don't really like this movie.  While the story and romance are a bit lacking, two words make this film timeless: Robin Williams. His turn as the Genie is jawdropping. I don't think we realized what a treasure we had in him until he was gone. No one else can do what he did. Depression sucks...  Read what I wrote about Aladdin in 2010 here.

My Top Ten:
1. NEXT POST!

2. Sneakers - If I had made this list 10 years ago, this would've been my easy choice for the top pick of the year. I love this movie in a pretty personal way. In a way I didn't connect with other "geeks grown up" movies like Ghostbusters. This movie feels like my middle school/high school friend group. To some extent, this movie feels like the science teachers at my school (affectionately known as "the square"). Techno-Robin Hood with Robert Redford, Dan Akroyd, Sidney Poiter, Ben Kingsley, Mary McDonnell, James Earl Jones, David Straitharn, and River Phoenix.

3. A League of Their Own - It isn't often, but every once in a while a strange mix of ingredients yields a movie close to perfection. Penny Marshall, Tom Hanks, Geena Davis, Madonna, Rosie O'Donnell, baseball, World War II.... That is certainly a strange mix, but boy does it work. I said as much ten years ago.

4. Aladdin

5. Reservoir Dogs - I can't hear "Stuck in the Middle with You" without thinking of Michael Madsen singing into a dismembered ear. Thanks Mr. Tarantino... Original post.

6. The Last of the Mohicans - Something I failed to mention in my 2010 post was how beautiful this soundtrack is. It is still one of my absolutely favorite sources of "study/reading music".

7. Strictly Ballroom - I really need a rewatch on this one. I remember loving it, but I definitely haven't seen it since I wrote this in the original blog.

8. Ferngully: The Last Rainforest - I'm not sure how this one missed my original 365, but on a recent rewatch I admittedly didn't make it all the way through. It has not aged well, and definitely deserves it's place as Robin Williams semi-forgotten animated comedic performance of 1992.

9. Baraka It's been 10 years since I last wrote about this movie, and I still have yet to see any of Ron Fricke's other films.... I need to get on that right away.

10. Husbands and Wives - Another Woody Allen film sneaks onto the list. Tough to watch, uncomfortable, and a bit sadistic. This is Allen's last film with Mia Farrow... after they broke up.... during the time she discovered that he was having an affair with her adult adopted daughter...just before she would accuse him of molesting their 7-year-old adopted daughter...  Hey, I didn't say this was easy... 

No comments:

Post a Comment