Friday, July 3, 2020

Best of the Year: 1942 - Casablanca




















Not just the best movie of 1942, easily my favorite movie of the 1940s, and in my top 5 of all time. Casablanca, simply put, is the definitive "great" movie. Romance, action, mystery, politics, music, ethical dilemmas, the perfect combination of direction, acting, screenwriting, production design, and cinematography. It is endlessly rewatchable, and every time I watch I see a new detail to love. It actually makes other movies more fun because it hooks me every time I see one of the secondary characters such as Claude Rains, Peter Lorre, or Sydney Greenstreet in different roles. What may be the most interesting is that this movie is so ingrained in our culture that it feels like you have seen it even if you haven't. ("Here's lookin' at you, kid."; "We'll always have Paris."; "Play it once Sam, for old time's sake."; "Loiue, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.")

Read what I said about Casablanca ten years ago here.

No comments:

Post a Comment