Wednesday, July 15, 2020

The Year in Movies: 1982


1982

Number of Movies I've Seen: 14
Hey! This is still only my second year of life!

Number of Movies from my original top 365:  1

Oscar Winner:
Gandhi - I put off watching this one forever because of the length and because I figured I knew exactly what it was. I was right. This movie is great, but mainly because Gandhi was great. Kingsley does an exceptional job and Attenborough's direction is flawless to a fault. It doesn't really feel like a movie, but, instead like a PBS special on the life of an extraordinary man. I see why it won Best Picture, but I also see why it doesn't get brought up much when remembering great movies.

Box Office Winner:
NEXT POST!

My Top Ten:
1. NEXT POST!

2. Sophie's Choice - (Pictured above) I watched this for a podcast that I listen to about the AFI 100 best American films list. I had never seen it because I figured (much like Gandhi) I knew what it was. Unlike Gandhi, boy was I wrong. This movie is a masterwork and I actually struggled between this film and my pick for best film of 1982. I just wish they had given it a different title because the movie is so much more than that heartwrenching scene.

3. The Secret of Nimh - Don Bluth shows up quite a bit on this blog, but for some reason this film doesn't stick with me quite as much as some of the others.

4. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn - I really need a rewatch on this one. I know most view it as the best Trek movie and I remember digging it, but it has been a while.

5. Fast Times at Ridgemont High - I watched this in college and it was not what I expected. I was coming up during the "golden age" of teenie bopper comedies (American Pie, Road Trip, etc.), and this is definitely not that. It is a very good movie though, and much darker than high school movies of today.

6. Tron - This movie gets extra points for blowing my pre-teen mind. It also was in my top ten most rented movies days of visiting Woody's video store in downtown Grifton.

7. The Thing - I've only seen this once and I dug it, but I need a rewatch with Abby so I can reassess.

8. Annie - Another movie that I watched many times as a kid. I always wanted to climb the train trestle because of this movie.

9. Blade Runner - I respect it. I loved the sequel. But I admit... I don't get the love for this one.

10. The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas - Classic Dolly Parton and Bert Reynolds in a movie about a brothel with a heart of gold. Pretty mind blowing that this movie/musical actually got made. I haven't watched since #metoo, but I imagine it wouldn't fare well...

No comments:

Post a Comment