Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Countdown to Oscar Night: Best Film Editing


 photo boyhood-21200xx1919-1080-0-0_zps68a26857.jpg

Over the next 19 days I will breakdown 19 of the 24 Oscar categories as we prepare for the big night on February 22nd.  I am not handicapping the documentary category this year because I don't have the ability to see ANY of them, which stinks.  The foreign language category is also being left behind as I have only seen one of the five films.  The other three categories are the "shorts" categories which I truly believe should either be revamped with some kind of youtube release or eliminated because I always want to see the films but simply cannot.  I am only ten films short of seeing every other nominated film so I may actually be able to pull it off this year!  Here we go:

Best Film Editing
American Sniper
Boyhood
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Whiplash

I found the nominees very puzzling here as I feel only two of the five films are even worthy of mentioning for their editing alone (Boyhood & Whiplash).  There isn't much I DID like about American Sniper, Wes Anderson's magnum opus (Grand Budapest) relies on production, writing, and acting instead of slick editing, and The Imitation Game's editing was nearly bad enough to be distracting from its awe-inspiring story and performances.  How Birdman got left out here blows my mind. As much as I love Boyhood, I feel Inarritu's cinematic experiment was much more dependent on the work of its editor, and may have been the best pure editing in any film in years.  Oh well....

In each category I will cast my ballot (ranking from favorite to least), make my pick to win, and list a notable snub:
My Ballot:
Boyhood
Whiplash
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
American Sniper

My Pick to Win:
Boyhood

Shamefully Snubbed:
Birdman

No comments:

Post a Comment