Friday, February 6, 2015

Countdown to Oscar Night: Best Original Song

 photo glory-selma-music-video_zps112f4638.jpg

Best Original Song
"Everything is Awesome" - The Lego Movie
"Glory" - Selma
"Grateful" - Beyond the Lights
"I'm Not Gonna Miss You" - Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me
"Lost Stars" - Begin Again

As beautifully touching as Glen Campbell's song is, this is a two horse race between the otherwise ultra-snubbed Lego Movie's song and the otherwise ultra-snubbed Selma's song. Pretty sure this is Common's Oscar for three reasons: 1. The Academy wants some color on stage after being reamed for the past month over snubbing the actors and director of Selma 2. Even though it is a "credits song" it is integral to the flow of the film (the audience I watched the film with stayed throughout the credits), and performed by an actor from the film (Common portrayed Selma activist James Bevel) AND 3. It's simply the best song of the five.

My Ballot:
"Glory" - Selma
"I'm Not Gonna Miss You" - Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me
"Everything is Awesome" - The Lego Movie
" Lost Stars" - Begin Again
"Grateful" - Beyond the Lights

My Pick to Win:
"Glory" - Selma

Shamefully Snubbed:
"The Hanging Tree" - The Hunger Games: Mockingjay: Part 1

No comments:

Post a Comment