Monday, April 11, 2011

290. The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill (2005)

Photobucket

We do a lot of bad things to animals because we don't believe that they feel anything. They're afraid of death; they're afraid of injury; they're afraid of being alone... like us.

I'm not sure whether 2005 was the year that documentaries starting getting really good or it was the year that I discovered how awesome a nonfiction film could be. Either way, four of my next five movies are documentaries starting with one that really showed me how unique a doc could be. This is the simple story of a homeless musician who has taken it upon himself to be the caretaker of a flock of parrots that has taken up residence in San Francisco. That may sound a little boring, but I have found that one can learn more about what it means to be human from the simplest of situations. If you aren't touched by this one, then you probably shouldn't be wasting your time with my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment