Sunday, April 10, 2011

287. Serenity (2005)

Photobucket

-But it ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of flying is? Well, I suppose you do, since you already know what I'm about to say.
-I do. But I like to hear you say it.
-Love. You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as a turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels. Makes her a home.


I am embarassed at how late I became a devoted Browncoat. I didn't see a single episode of Firefly while it was on TV, and I missed this movie when it was in the theater. Being the super-movie-nerd that I am though, I was pretty quick to rent it probably the Friday before it came out on DVD (thanks East Coast!). I was hooked right off the bat, but I felt like I was missing something. I borrowed Brian's dvds of the 13 episode Firefly series and my mind was officially blown. Rewatching the movie afterwards literally brought tears to my eyes. This was truly a situation in which the shows creators did their absolutely best with the crappy deal that FOX tv dealt them.

As for the movie, it ranks behind only that galaxy far, far away and a long time ago as the greatest space western of all time. Every character is pitch perfect and Joss Whedon's script is at the same time witty, moving, and thrilling. If you have never experienced the greatness of Firefly/Serenity, then all I have to say is "you're welcome". I truly envy anyone who gets to watch these fourteen pieces of entertainment bliss for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment