Friday, April 8, 2011

285. Before Sunset (2004)

Photobucket

I feel like if someone were to touch me, I'd dissolve into molecules.

My love for all things Richard Linklater has been well documented on this blog, and he is at his best when he is filming people talking (especially Ethan Hawke talking, especially when he is talking with Julie Delpy). This is a sequel to the amazing "Before Sunrise" in which Hawke's Jesse spends an evening walking the streets of Vienna with Celine. I guess Linklater felt that the constraints weren't quite strict enough for that film, so for the sequel Jesse and Celine spend an afternoon walking and talking through the streets of Paris, only this time the movie is filmed in "real" time. You read that right, this movie is 80 minutes of Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke walking around the streets of Paris talking with very few cuts and nothing else, and it was (by far!) my favorite movie of 2004. The final scene of this movie contains more beautiful romance than any month of programing on the Lifetime and Hallmark channels combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment