Thursday, March 17, 2011

265. Cold Mountain (2003)

Photobucket

They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say '$*#&, it's raining!'

This movie is the perfect example of why I prefer the medium of film to the written word. I could be wrong, but I can't imagine enjoying this story after 464 pages and countless hours of reading. On the other hand, a much smaller dedication of 2.5 hours is perfect. I am able to completely devote myself to the storyline and do not tire of the characters. In this way, movies are able to tell a story that may not be otherwise enjoyed. While researching this film I also noticed the huge list of my favorite actors and actresses that appeared. Seriously, the list is staggering: Jude Law, Nicole Kidman, Lucas Black, Brendan Gleeson, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Natalie Portman, Giovanni Ribisi, Donald Southerland, Kathy Baker, James Gammon, and even Jack White (of The White Stripes). Notice I left out Renee Zellweger because squinty eyes and whining do not a good actress make (although she was pretty good in this film).

No comments:

Post a Comment