Saturday, March 5, 2011

252. Whale Rider (2003)

Photobucket

A long time ago, my ancestor Paikea came to this place on the back of a whale. Since then, in every generation of my family, the first born son has carried his name and become the leader of our tribe... until now.

One of the reasons I started this blog was because I felt that my time on the internet could be a bit more productive. To that end, I guess it has been a success. Instead of spending hours looking at funny videos, reading Star Wars fan fiction, and ogling the newest Magic the Gathering cards, I have tried my best to offer some insight into my favorite movies of all time. I have evidence of my time on the internet, but I'm not so sure this time spent is much more productive in the long run. As we sit hunched over our computers for hours on end, we are creating a new culture; one without borders, colors, or ethnicity. Still, with every keystroke we are losing the culture that our ancenstors developed for hundreds of years. This transition must be careful or we stand to lose many of the wonderful things about humanity.

This movie is about cherishing culture. It examines native culture of New Zealand through the eyes of a young girl, Paikea, who fights to return her tribe to the ideals of their elders. This is troublesome though because her culture is patriarchal. Without any male heirs, the chief has fallen into despair and most young peopel have given up hope. Paikea reminds her family and the viewer that culture is about love for your fellow man: past, present, and future. I only hope we can maintain this love for one another and our history as we transition away from regional culture to a new culture of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment