Wednesday, February 9, 2011

230. A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001)

Photobucket

That was the everlasting moment he had been waiting for. And the moment had passed, for Monica was sound asleep. More than merely asleep. Should he shake her she would never rouse. So David went to sleep too. And for the first time in his life, he went to that place where dreams are born.

I respect the work of Steven Spielberg and Stanley Kubrick. I say this because I don't really "love" either of their bodies of work. They both make (made) good movies, but I feel both sometimes can be overshadowed by the greatness of their source content. Think about it. The Shining, Jurassic Park, A Clockwork Orange, Schindler's List all were great books before being made into classic movies. That being said, this collaboration contains the perfect amount of epic beauty from Kubrick and fairy-tale magic from Spielberg that it overshadows both of them (and the short-story/poem source material).

I know quite a few people who despise the ending of this movie, but I think it is one of the most carefully plotted, meticulous works of beauty to grace the screen. Also, before it comes up from the peanut gallery: they are robots, not aliens...

No comments:

Post a Comment