Thursday, January 28, 2021

The Year in Movies: 2016



  2016


Number of Movies I've Seen: 78

Number of Movies from my original top 365:  ended in 2011

Oscar Winner:
Moonlight -  I dig this movie.... but... it will forever be the movie that broke my heart on Oscar night. More on that with the next post.

Box Office Winner:
Finding Dory - I am actually surprised how forgettable this Pixar entry has been. I was pretty neutral with it until the emotional bombshell (Dory's parents' rocks).

My Top Ten:
1. NEXT POST!

2. Hacksaw Ridge - I know... I know... Mel Gibson isn't the greatest human, but if you've learned anything on my blog, you've seen that I am pretty adept at separating the art from the artist. This movie was made for me. A war film about pacifism. I adore this movie.

3. Lion - (PICTURED ABOVE) A moving true-story for the modern age. Go see this movie!

4. Fences - Having just watched Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, I can pretty confidently say I think I want all of August Wilson's plays adapted for the screen. 

5. Captain Fantastic - Sometimes I have an urge to simply run away and live in the woods. The family in this film follows that fantasy to its conclusions both beautiful and terrifying.

6. Your Name - Makoto Shinkai draws pretty. He also understands the pure magic that is falling in love in a unique way. It doesn't get much more unique than this mystery romance. This is the highest grossing anime movie of all time. I can pretty much guarantee you will see why if you give it a shot.

7.  Kubo and the Two Strings  - Probably my favorite movie from Laika studios (the sadists who are still doing frame by frame miniature motion capture animation). A must see for anyone who loves the hero's journey, Japanese culture, and gorgeous imagery.

8. Sing Street - Grossly underseen movie about music and young love. Original songs and heartfelt performances make this one pure magic.

9. Everybody Wants Some!! - Richard Linklater attempts a "spiritual sequel" to Dazed and Confused. Its good but doesn't quite compare to his best work.

10. Midnight Special - Jeff Nichols is a very interesting director. He also holds the distinction of employing my fellow Grifton Bulldog Neil Moore. Each of his movies are unique and enthralling. This is his strangest and possibly my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment