Friday, January 15, 2021

Best of the Year: 1996 - Independence Day


 I think my pick for this year says way more about me than 1996. When I was 14-15 years old, I flirted with the idea of becoming a science-fiction writer. I "workshopped" a series of novels that would center around an alien species testing humanity. Many of our historical events were actually accomplished by aliens masquerading as humans (Charles Lindberg) or humans working for aliens (Jack Ruby). My main idea was to have the aliens perform the ultimate test by blowing up Washington, D.C. during a presidential inauguration. So it was with excitement and a little bit of jealousy that I saw the first trailer for Roland Emmerich's Independence Day that contained the classic image in the pic above. Who knows how my life would have been different if this hadn't beaten me to the punch. ;)

As for the movie, it's just plain fun. Will Smith, Bill Pullman, Jeff Goldblum, and Randy Quaid make for an unlikely but purely entertaining action team. You can say this movie is silly, dated, sexist, or corny, but you simply cannot say it isn't a good time.

My original post.

No comments:

Post a Comment